Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Happy Gotcha Day - celebrating your kids adoption!

Today we are celebrating "Gotcha Day" for Max Brockmeyer.

22 years ago today we landed at Dulles Airport in Chantilly, VA after traveling almost 11,000 miles from Moscow, Russia via Frankfurt, Germany.  It was a long trip - I was alone with my two boys ages 4 1/2 and 2 1/2.  I had been in Russia for almost 6 weeks, and I could not wait to see the United States of America.  I was also pretty excited to see my husband, Joe.

June 25, 1992 was a wonderful day .... God answered my prayers, and I brought my two beautiful little boys home... we had begun our "forever" family.

Each year for each of our children we celebrate "Gotcha Day".  When they lived at home I cooked their favorite meal, or a meal they picked, and they received a small gift to remember the day. 

I believe that kids need to know that they are adopted - adoptive parents need to tell them as soon as they are old enough to understand the concept of adoption. 

I talk with families all the time who don't tell their kids until they are older, and than there are major issues. 

As adoptive parents we need to be secure in our relationship with our children.  We don't need to fear birthparents.... they just want to know their children are okay..... they don't want to destroy your relationship with your child.....we forget they love our children too!

Celebrate your child's adoption - tell them they are adopted - tell them they are special, share with them their story....

Create great "GOTCHA DAY" memories......

Your kids will always remember it, and they will love you for it..........

Our coming home photo - not the best quality..... but it evokes such precious memories.....

No comments:

Post a Comment