Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

Can I get my baby back after I have placed the child for adoption?

I get phone calls everyday from birth parents.  They are considering adoption, and often they will ask - "Can I get my baby back after I have placed the child for adoption?"  The answer is yes and no.

You can get the baby back if the consent revocation period has not passed - but you can not get the baby back if there was no revocation period or the time to change your mind has passed.



After a baby is born the birth parents must sign consents to the adoption.  Every state has different laws about when consents can be signed, but typically it is at least 24 hours after the baby is born. 

Once the consent is signed there may be a revocation period or a period of time during which the birth mother can change her mind and ask the adopting family or agency to return the baby to her.

If a revocation period exists, and it has not ended before you change your mind, you can get your baby backBut, if you live in a state where there is no revocation period or the revocation period has passed you can not get your baby back.

Make sure you understand your rights before you sign your consents.  Ask questions, and if you don't understand a document - don't sign it.

If you have other questions -

Just Hollar ......Hey Adoption Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment