Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

My family's adoption story - part I (History)

I am the mother of six adopted Russian children.  We began our adoption journey in 1991 shortly after my husband, Joe, and I were married.  He was 40 and I was 30, we knew that I was unable to have children and so about two years after we were married be began looking into adoption.  Initially we looked into domestic adoption, but no one wanted to talk with us because of my husband's age....  We looked into  adopting thru foster care but honestly we were scared about the potential problems the children might have - so we never followed thru.......

Than we got a phone call from a dear friend who had adopted a little boy from Romania... She  briefly talked to me about the adoption process there, but we were not interested.... Romania just didn't feel right -

One day as I was preparing dinner my friend called again - she said this is the last time I am going to call you about international adoption, but in case you are interested, the women who helped us in Romania is coming to the United States - She told me she had been to Russia to meet with officials there regarding Russian adoptions....

So, as my husband loves to tell everyone, we drove from south central PA to northern NJ to a Jewish synagogue, to hear a Canadian, talk about Russian adoptions.......

Stay tuned for the rest of the story -

No comments:

Post a Comment